Vibram Bikila - 10/03/10


Vibram Bikila - 10/03/10, originally uploaded by TomRubin.

Day 273 of Project 365. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with my running style over the past year and doing a lot of research into the barefoot running craze that seems to be getting more and more popular. Obviously, living in Chicago, barefoot running could be quite foolish due to the chances of running on broken glass, needles and other painful objects. Enter the Vibram company. Vibram has been putting out a line "shoes" that's made to replicate the barefoot experience without the risk of actually being barefoot. Vibram had a few models that could be used for running, but running was not their sole purpose.

I've been dying to try a pair of Vibram's for myself, but finding them can be quite challenging. I put it off for a while and when I finally decided to get serious about trying them, I saw Vibram came out with a new model made especially for running. The Vibram Bikila.
Looks like my procrastination finally paid off for a change.

Last Thursday I finally found a store in Chicago that had the new Vibram Bikila in my size. I couldn't wait to try them on! They actually fit and 20 minutes later, I had my own pair. My schedule lately has been a bit hectic but tonight I finally had a chance to wear them on a run. It was love at first mile. I ran 3.1 miles* and felt great the entire time. I quickly got used to the new sensations my feet were feeling and I felt like I was running on air. Seriously, these are so light that after running in shoes your feet feel liberated.

Does the Vibram Bikila deliver what they promise? For me, absolutely! If they hold up, these will be my running shoe.

*Disclaimer - I have been running with a barefoot style gait for 6 months while wearing conventional running shoes. If you are a heel striker, you must start out slow and with small distances until your feet and legs can adjust to the new style of running. Do not attempt a normal distance run the first time you wear a pair Vibram's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life update!

I'm a Raiders fan...

Empire Avenue?