Wall of Fame - 8/05/10


Wall of Fame - 8/05/10, originally uploaded by TomRubin.

Day 216 of Project 365. As far back as I can remember, the company I work for has always had name tags for everyone's cubicles. A former co-worker started keeping the name tags of people that left the company. After this person had collected about 3 or 4 name tags, they left the company as well.

On his or her last day this employee asked out loud "Ok, who wants the name tags?" Nobody really said anything, so I spoke up and took them. I've had them ever since. Mostly they are the names of people that have left on their own. Especially during the first 3 years that I started keeping them. Lately they are the names of people that have been laid off due to our company being bought by another company or people leaving on their own accord, but still due to the acquisition.

The acting CEO has asked me about the wall and I know he's not a fan of it. Well, that's too bad. Those names on the wall might just be names to him, but to me they are friends. They are people I've worked with over the past 6+ years. They are people I respect. Most importantly to me, they are good memories.

They are also a reminder that business decisions have consequences.

Comments

  1. Wow, that list has gotten astoundingly large.

    I don't see me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the list has grown to epic proportions.

    Sadly, I don't ever recall ever having your name tag :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom: There was something like this at one of my former companies. There was a mass exodus of people and someone in accounting was the "historian" of fallen co-workers.

    I'm sorry to hear that things are tough at your current company. I hope things stabilize there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, unfortunately a lot of the people that are no longer here did not leave by choice.

    It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life update!

I'm a Raiders fan...

Empire Avenue?