Tuesday, February 23, 2010

An odd gift... - 2/22/10


An odd gift... - 2/22/10, originally uploaded by TomRubin.

Day 53 of Project 365. Like everyone, I've had my share of odd people in my life. Years ago, I had a friend we'll call..."M". M and I used to work together until he or she was let go. Now please pardon the vagueness of this story - I don't want to be hunted down like a dirty dog and if I put too many details out there...well you can guess the rest. Anyway, a few days prior to his or her last day, M, pulled me aside and said "I want you to have this. From one warrior to another." I stared down in disbelieve. M had put an over 1 foot long blade into my hands. It was like being in an episode of "The Office" before "The Office" even existed.

Sure, that might have made sense if we both had served together in the Marines. But...no. We worked together in an office building in Chicago and I don't believe M ever served in the military. I really tried to decline the gift, but M would simply not listen. Soooo, I then wondered to myself: How in the HELL and I'm going to get this thing home? On public transportation. During rush hour.

I eventually got it home. I wonder whatever happened to M?

1 comment: