Must be the shoes!?

So it's been a while since my last post. What gives, you ask? Well...shortly after finding a free indoor track, I developed some pain in my left leg. I thought I might have had a stress fracture, but I'm thinking it was probably a bone bruise. I feel pretty in tune with my body and I trust myself enough to know when to take it easy, so that's what I've been doing. No running at all. Thankfully the leg is feeling much better now.

I have been keeping up with the ab work and strength training so I figure to return to running in January with a minimal loss of progress. At least that's the plan. I'm pretty happy that even though I have not been running, my weight has not skyrocketed back up - total bonus to keeping up with the strength training!

Anyway, my totally awesome co-worker Karen, was telling me about running shoes with individual pockets for the toes. Think of shoes that fit like a glove and you'll get the idea. She sent me a link to a NY Times article that featured them. I have to admit the shoes look...bizarre. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are a few places that sell them in Illinois and one of them is only 45 minutes away. I'm seriously thinking of checking them out: Vibram Five Fingers 

They are machine washable and about as close to barefoot running as you can safely get in an outdoor urban environment. One interesting thing on their website was they make mention of how modern runners land on their heels. That's one thing I do not do when I get going - I land on my forefoot. Turns out that it how man has always ran before the invention of the modern running shoe. I'm old school :p

If I know me, I'll think about it for a little while, then get the itch to try them. I'm not making any promises, but the smart money would be on looking for a review of the shoes in a few months ;)

That's it for now. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Keep running!

Comments

  1. Tom,

    You'll love the Vibrams! The trick is to go slow. Being a midfoot striker will help. If you need any tips, there are a lot of resources available... start here:

    http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/how.html

    Good luck!

    -Jason Robillard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason! I'll be sure to check that out. Merry Christmas if you are celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a pair of Vibrams, although I don't use them all that often. I love them while camping, hiking, and doing trail running. Unfortunately, I don't get out to do that all that much.

    In the city, I find their impact on pavement a bit much. Maybe it's just my poor form or that I didn't get used to them enough though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jordan!

    I do have a lot of trails by my place. I definitely keep that in mind for when I pick them up. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life update!

Empire Avenue?

I'm a Raiders fan...